Rumour has it that despite life having lobbed a few lemons this way, the Pantry is back in business..
All I know is this: when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
When life doesn't give you lemons & ruins your plans for a desirable drizzle cake, you say "Sod* the Lemons!" & grab the nearest Orange.
For Cinnamon & Orange Drizzle Cake you will need:
- 4oz/115g Butter
- 4oz/115g Caster Sugar
- 2 x Medium Eggs
- 4 oz/115g Self Raising Flour
- 1 x heaped tsp of Cinnamon
- Zest of 1 large Orange
- Juice of half large Orange
- 3 or 4[ish] x heaped tbsp Icing Sugar
For a Cinnamon & Orange Drizzle Cake you must:
- Cream together the Butter & the Caster Sugar until pale.
- Beat in the Eggs, one at a time, adding a little Flour (to stop them separating).
- Gradually stir in the Flour, Cinnamon & Zest. I like lots of flavour, so tend to whack in a load of cinnamon - you could also try putting half a tsp of Nutmeg in there too if you fancied. You know what, I bet this would be cracking with a handful of sultanas or mixed fruit in too.
- Put in a greased & lined cake tin or loaf tin - 20/25cm round or similar - & bake in a preheated oven for 20-30mins - or until nicely golden brown on outside, I love to have a crispy outer! & you can insert a skewer into the middle & pull it out clean. You know the drill!
- Meanwhile, at the Bat Cave... Mix together the Juice & the Icing Sugar. You can make it as runny or as solid as you desire. I like mine to be fairly runny so it gets in all the nooks.
- When cooked & still hot (& in the tin, otherwise it's messy!) make deep holes in the cake with a skewer - or if you are like me then scissors will do! - then pour your icing on top, ensuring it all runs into the holes & makes your cake lovely & moist.
*words other than 'sod' may be used in this instance. Please feel free to improvise.